This article contains information about the series of tests with MS Surface Pro 3, that was performed with various versions of Artec Studio (Artec Studio 10 - in 2015, Artec Studio 11 - in 2015 and Artec Studio 12 - in 2017).
Tested hardware configuration
We conducted all tests with a Surface Pro 3 tablet, its exact hardware configuration is listed below:
- Windows 8.1 Pro
- Intel i7: 4th generation Intel Core i7-4650U 3.30 GHz (link to the benchmark)
- 8 GB RAM
- Full-size USB 3.0
- Intel HD Graphics 5000
- 256 GB hard drive
Note: Pay attention that 8 Gb RAM is lower than the recommended hardware specifications.
"How to increase the tablet performance" tips
These tips are especially helpful while scanning in "Geometry + Texture" mode:
- Enable high-performance mode on your Surface using this key in Windows registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0)
- Speed up real-time 3D-reconstruction by decreasing Triangle Step in Artec Studio. Navigate to File - Settings - Scan - Use default real-time settings - Set Triangle Step from 6 to 8.
Artec Studio 10
- Scanning speed on MS Surface is slower comparing to Razer Edge Pro. Artec Eva scanning speed is 7-10 FPS in "Geometry + Texture" mode and 12-14 FPS in "Geometry" mode (maximum is 16 FPS).
- We captured the full body in "Geometry + Texture" mode and recorded about 2500 frames without any problem. The only issue is that after 3000 captured frames the RAM is full, so it is a good idea to stop scanning and unload some data at this point.
- Note that real-time fusion mode is not available for Surface in Artec Studio 10, since this scanning mode requires powerful NVIDIA/ATI card.
Artec Studio 11 & 12
Overall Artec Eva works with MS Surface Pro 3 in Artec Studio 11 and 12 in "Geometry + Texture" scanning mode. However, we won't recommend using MS Surface Pro 3 due to its relatively low performance: at some point, FPS drops from 10 to 3 frames per second scanning speed which makes scanning process uncomfortable.
Unfortunately, Surface Pro 3 has an outdated hardware in terms of RAM amount and processor model (check the link to benchmark above), that's why we recommend using Microsoft Surface Pro 4 tablet together with Artec Studio 11 and 12.
Note: Artec Eva Lite operates in "Geometry only" mode, so it can be used on both MS Surface Pro 3 and Pro 4 tablets.
We are here to help! If you have any questions or issues, please do not hesitate to contact our team by emailing email@example.com or by clicking on "Ask Support" button on the upper part of the screen. We will always be happy to assist you and will get back to you as soon as we can.